Beat the Heat - Say No to Unsafe Work!
SAY NO TO UNSAFE WORK!
Working in excessive heat can lead to serious illnesses and sometimes even death.
You have the right to STOP WORK if you feel symptoms of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, such as:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Hot/dry skin
- Muscle cramps
- Loss of consciousness
Don’t work outside of your body’s capabilities and say no to unsafe work.
Your employer has a legal duty of care to protect you from heat stroke and heat exhaustion by providing:
- Constant supplies of cool drinking water
- Breaks to rest and cool off in the shade or airconditioned area
- Loose fitting clothing and for outdoor workers - wide brim hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Time to adjust to working in the heat by gradually increasing workload and heat exposure
- Training and education for recognising symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stress and seeking medical help quickly
Contact your AWU Organiser for advice and assistance on 1800 298 753 if your work involved exposure to heat.